Criminal Defense Attorney in Annapolis, Maryland
Are you or your loved ones currently grappling with legal challenges? Are you facing criminal charges that have the potential to reshape your future? We know the profound impact these situations can have on your life. The complexities of the Annapolis legal system, particularly when entangled in criminal accusations, require compassionate and proficient criminal lawyers, and we have the team for you!
Facing criminal charges is undeniably a scary and challenging journey. The consequences can be significant. Whether it’s a seemingly minor misdemeanor traffic violation or a grave accusation such as murder, you will feel overwhelmed. That’s where we come in. We offer aggressive legal representation to help you feel safe in state and federal courts.
In this article, we aim to shed light on the vital role of a criminal attorney in Annapolis, Maryland, and how our team at Scrofano Law, PC, can serve as your dedicated advocates, safeguarding your freedom, record, and rights throughout the legal process. If you need more personalized guidance, do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time!
Understanding Criminal Law in Annapolis, MD
Knowing what to do and how to proceed can be challenging when you’ve been charged with a criminal offense. However, our team of dedicated Annapolis criminal attorneys at Scrofano Law, PC, is here to provide clarity and support.
First, you should be aware that no matter the charges against you, you have fundamental rights, such as the right to remain silent at arrest and legal representation throughout the entire arrest-to-trial process. Remember, whether navigating federal or state court proceedings, having a skilled attorney by your side is indispensable in safeguarding your rights and building a robust defense.
Next, there are a few key legal terms and items you should be aware of, such as:
- Misdemeanors: Understanding Lesser Offenses
- In criminal law, a misdemeanor is a less severe offense that typically incurs fines and a maximum prison term of 12 months. Many criminal offenses may have both felony and misdemeanor components, and the nature of the charges often depends on the specific circumstances surrounding the alleged crime. At Scrofano Law, PC, we assist clients in comprehending the implications of misdemeanor charges and guide them through the legal process.
- Grasping Felony Charges: Serious Crimes and Consequences
- A felony is a more serious criminal offense, carrying the potential for imprisonment exceeding one year. The severity of the crime and its implications necessitate a meticulous and strategic legal defense. At Scrofano Law, PC, our team is committed to providing comprehensive support to clients facing felony offenses, ensuring their rights are protected, and exploring every avenue for a favorable outcome.
- Annapolis Criminal Courts: Navigating the Judicial Landscape
- Annapolis hosts various courts, each with a distinct role in the legal system. The Court of Appeals, as the highest court in Maryland, handles appellate cases from the intermediate Court of Special Appeals. In addition, Annapolis houses a Circuit Court and District Court, each with specific jurisdictions. The District Court deals with matters such as motor vehicle violations and small claims, while the Circuit Court, with a jury present, addresses serious criminal cases and hears appeals. At Scrofano Law, PC, we understand the nuances of each court and are dedicated to advocating for our clients throughout the legal process.
A Typical Criminal Process
The legal process begins with the arrest of a suspected individual, requiring probable cause or a warrant. Post-arrest, Miranda rights are conveyed, and the following steps are usually taken:
- Booking: Following arrest, personal information is recorded, fingerprints and photos are taken, and a background check is conducted.
- Initial Appearance: The arrested person faces a judge and is informed of charges, and bail may be set, allowing release until trial upon payment.
- Bail Hearing: If bail is set, a separate hearing determines the amount and conditions based on charges and criminal history.
- Arraignment: The accused hears charges, enters a plea, and if not guilty, a trial date is set.
- Discovery: Prosecution and defense exchange case-relevant information and evidence to prepare for trial.
- Pre-Trial Motions: Either party may file motions (e.g., to suppress evidence) before the judge rules.
- Trial: The prosecution presents evidence, followed by the defense. The judge or jury renders a guilty or not guilty verdict.
- Sentencing: If guilty, a hearing determines punishment, considering the crime’s nature, criminal history, and circumstances.
- Appeal: Convicted individuals can appeal, reviewing trial errors. The appellate court may affirm, order a new trial, or modify the sentence.
Although it is your legal right, going through this process alone may not be a good idea. Our criminal defense lawyers are here to help you through your journey from arrest to possible appeal. Trust us to give you sound legal counsel.
Our Annapolis Criminal Defense Lawyers Are Here To Help
If you need help with a criminal case, our criminal defense law firm provides comprehensive legal assistance. We cater to a diverse range of clients, both adults and juveniles. Our practice encompasses many cases, from minor misdemeanor traffic violations to more serious offenses such as murder charges. Our experienced team is dedicated to offering a full-service approach, ensuring thorough representation and advocacy for our clients across the entire spectrum of criminal legal matters.
Our team of criminal defense attorneys adeptly manages a broad range of legal issues, including:
Sex Crimes Charges
Expungements and Record Clearing
Boating While Intoxicated (BUI/BWI) Cases
Domestic Violence Matters
As a Maryland law firm with an excellent track record of local legal knowledge, we can handle these types of cases as well as many others. Being locally based makes all the difference. As a result of our knowledge of the area, the people involved, and the laws and regulations, we can provide the most effective legal representation. Our lawyers are also familiar with the judges and prosecutors in the area, which gives them an advantage in court.
Don’t Choose the Wrong Lawyer, Choose Us Today!
At Scrofano Law, PC, we have the legal knowledge to help you with your criminal defense matters. We have helped countless people like you fight off a criminal conviction, from drunk driving to drug crimes and more. We can handle it all.
Do not waste time. Call us today for a free consultation, and let us help you protect your future and defend your rights.
NEED AN ATTORNEY?
We fight for your rights!