Chevy Chase Criminal Attorney
A Chevy Chase criminal attorney defends individuals facing criminal charges in the Chevy Chase, MD, area, which straddles the border of Maryland and is part of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. A criminal defense lawyer may help people with charges from simple misdemeanors to serious felonies or even federal crimes.
Navigating an arrest, arraignment, court hearings, and plea negotiations alone can be difficult. Our attorneys at Scrofano Law PC provide crucial legal counsel and representation, drawing on their extensive knowledge of Maryland criminal defense issues to protect clients’ rights.
Have you or your loved one been accused of a criminal act? It is wise to seek a criminal lawyer’s help when charged with any offense. Our criminal defense attorneys from Scrofano Law PC are ready for the challenge.
Dealing with Criminal Charges in Chevy Chase, MD
Individuals facing first-time or repeat charges are up against a challenging court system, including law enforcement officers and prosecutors. Despite the legal principle of the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, those accused of crimes can sometimes face judgment from the community even before their court hearings.
Individuals accused of crimes must be aware of their rights to ensure fair treatment under the law. The United States Constitution grants the accused several important protections, including:
- The right to remain silent
- The right to be free from unauthorized search and seizure
- The right to reasonable bail
- The right to a speedy trial
- The right against cruel and unusual punishment
- The right to examine witnesses
- The right to attorney representation at all stages of criminal proceedings
Working with a passionate criminal defense lawyer early on in the process can help you make sure that none of these rights are violated. Your attorney can also help you understand the court system, since a criminal offense in Chevy Chase could result in you appearing at one of Maryland’s District Courts or Circuit Courts.
In Chevy Chase, MD, the relevant District Court is the District Court of Maryland for Montgomery County in Rockville, MD. More serious criminal matters are often handled by the Circuit Court, which for Chevy Chase is Maryland’s 6th Circuit, covering Fredrick County and Montgomery County.
Common Forms of Criminal Charges
Criminal charges can range from misdemeanors to serious felony offenses. Misdemeanors typically involve less severe crimes, with common examples under Maryland law including:
- Traffic offenses
- Second-degree assault
- Minor drug possession
- Theft of goods worth less than $1,500.
Felony offenses carry the potential for high fines and long-term incarceration. These offenses are serious and often involve violence and weapons. Common felonies under Maryland law can include:
- First-degree assault
- Robbery, burglary, and theft involving goods worth more than $1,500
- Drug possession with intent to distribute.
Penalties for misdemeanor and felony crimes vary based on factors like prior convictions, infliction of serious injuries, and the use of weapons.
Possible Defense Strategies in Criminal Cases
Criminal lawyers employ various legal defense strategies to challenge criminal charges, tailoring their approach to the unique circumstances of each client and case. Some defense strategies include:
- Self-defense claims: The defense claim arises if the defendants used physical force to defend themselves. However, this defense isn’t eligible in court if the offender was the aggressor initially.
- Police misconduct or violation of defendants’ rights by law enforcement officers: Prosecutors and police can make errors resulting in problems with the validity of the evidence, for instance, using unauthorized searches to collect evidence. Unlawful traffic stops are another example.If this is the case, your defense attorney may be able to use this to your advantage or even have the charges be dropped.
- Entrapment: Entrapment is a legal defense used to argue that the defendant had no intent to commit a crime, especially when an officer has induced or persuaded an individual to engage in an unlawful act.
- False confession. Witnesses can be coerced to provide false testimony during the investigation. In such a scenario, the evidence collected is void and can’t be used in court.
How Can Criminal Defense Lawyers Serving Chevy Chase Help?
The criminal justice system can be intimidating and the stakes are high. This is why seeking a criminal lawyer’s assistance is essential for anyone facing charges, regardless of the nature of the alleged crime.
A criminal defense attorney servicing the Chevy Chase area can provide you with the necessary guidance and help to alleviate your concerns throughout the legal process.
At Scrofano Law PC, our criminal lawyers are deeply experienced with state and federal law, local court processes, and defending clients rigorously in court. We are dedicated to helping our clients secure the most favorable outcomes possible.
We advocate for the protection of your rights and privileges by:
Being present and assisting you throughout police interviews and interrogations
Arguing for a reasonable bond or bail in court
Interviewing witnesses to obtain testimonial evidence regarding the allegations
Closely examining arresting circumstances to identify possible rights violations
Analyzing all evidence and chemical tests, leaving no stone unturned in investigating your defense
Representing accused individuals at all scheduled court hearings
Seek Assistance From Scrofano Law PC Today
Seeking a skilled criminal lawyer from Scrofano Law PC today is a wise decision if you’re facing criminal charges in the Chevy Chase, MD area. Our team of experienced criminal defense lawyers understands the intricacies of the legal system, and we are committed to providing you with the best possible defense.
Whether you’re dealing with misdemeanor or felony charges, we will work tirelessly to protect your rights, build a strong defense strategy, and strive for a favorable outcome in your case.
Don’t navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system alone—contact our Maryland law firm today if you need representation for criminal offenses in Chevy Chase, MD.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chevy Chase Criminal Defense
What Is the Penalty for Simple Assault in Maryland?
Individuals charged with simple assault face a misdemeanor offense. The defendants can receive a maximum incarceration of ten years and a fine of $2,500.
What Amount of Stolen Money Is a Felony in Maryland?
Criminal law on theft in Maryland applies penalties based on the value of the stolen property. Theft involving less than $1,500 is a misdemeanor theft. Any theft involving a value greater than $1,500 is a felony or grand theft.
What Is the Statute of Limitations on Theft Crimes in Maryland?
In Maryland State, charges for theft cases ranging from $100 and $1000 need to be brought within two years of the order of the crime. The State requires misdemeanors to be charged within one year from the date of the alleged crime.
NEED AN ATTORNEY?
We fight for your rights!